Tamahagane SAN Tsubame Stainless Steel Pakkawood Sashimi Knife, 10.5-Inch
Free Shipping Included! Tamahagane SAN Tsubame Stainless Steel Pakkawood Sashimi Knife, 10.5-Inch by Tamahagane at Self Trained Chef. MPN: SNMH-1130. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. ABOUT TAMAHAGANETamahagane knives are manufactured by Kataoka and Company in Niigata, Japan. The word tamahagane means precious steel. Historically, the word tamahagane has been known as a particular, very pure and high-quality steel produced using traditional Japanese techniques. Today, Kataoka uses Tamahagane as the brand name for the exceptional knives it makes from similar quality steels produced using modern techniques. With their unsurpassed sharpness and edge retention, these knives are d
Product Description & Reviews
ABOUT TAMAHAGANETamahagane knives are manufactured by Kataoka and Company in Niigata, Japan. The word tamahagane means precious steel. Historically, the word tamahagane has been known as a particular, very pure and high-quality steel produced using traditional Japanese techniques. Today, Kataoka uses Tamahagane as the brand name for the exceptional knives it makes from similar quality steels produced using modern techniques. With their unsurpassed sharpness and edge retention, these knives are definitely precious steel.SNH seriesThe Tamahagane SAN TSUBAME knives feature 3-ply stainless steel construction. The middle layer is VG No. 5. This layer is very hard and acts as the cutting edge. The two outside layers are made of SUS410 stainless steel. The outside layers are softer and more stain resistant than the cutting edge and actually protect the cutting edge. The SAN TSUBAME knives are balanced with a stainless steel weight which attaches to the tang and is visible at the heel of the handle. Not only does this add to the beauty of the design, it also creates fantastic balance. The SAN TSUBAME pakkawood knives feature a handle that is made of a rich, dark laminated wood. The wood is a dark birch.
Features & Highlights
- The 3-ply stainless steel has an original thickness of 20 mm and is thinned by repeated rolling to a thickness of 2 mm. You might want to look at this rolling process as a modern forging technique. Also, this rolling process removes all the impurities in the steel leaving you with a very hard, very pure stainless steel.
- After the rolling processes, the V-G No. 5 cutting edge reaches a hardness of 61 degrees on the Rockwell scale and a final thickness of .65 mm. The outside layers each reach a thickness of .675 mm. There are several different VG stainless steels. Kataoka selected V-G No. 5 stainless steel for the SAN TSUBAME knives, because V-G No. 5 can be hardened as hard as any of the other V-G steels but has superior edge retention.
- Using scientific testing equipment (CATRA), Kataoka was able to show that their knives stayed sharper longer than knives made from other VG steels. The edge on the SAN TSUBAME knives is a minute, beveled edge. The angle of the edge is between 14 and 15 degrees. To appreciate the quality of the edge, you must first look at its incredible mirror polish and then try cutting with it.
- Kataoka has achieved the perfect balance between sharpness and strength with the SAN TSUBAME edges.
- The blade of the SAN TSUBAME is hand-hammered about half way down from the spine. The whole blade is then sandblasted. The sandblasting only affects the softer SUS410 outside layers leaving the outside layers with a matte finish and the VG No. 5 core with a mirror polish. The hammering and sandblasting give the SAN TSUBAME a very rich appearance.
2.36 x 1.06 x 19.37 inches
Have questions about this item (SNMH-1130), or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Tamahagane, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
Related Best Sellers
mpn: HKYA300SH, ean: 0740016865513,
The Yanagi is a long slicing knife that was designed to slice thin slices of fish for sushi and sashimi. The beauty of its elegant thin blade is its ability to slice through an ingredient in long uninterrupted strokes, preserving its integrity and fr...
Cutting, Slicing, Chopping and Filleting are all can be easy for a professional chef knife! All-Purpose Damascus kitchen chef knife to help you do the best job in kitchen cooking. Makes it a great gift for everyone and any occasions, it would be so n...
Knife Features → Blade Material: SG-2/R-2 Semi-Stainless Steel→Edge Angle: Single Edged →Grade: Powdered →Handle Shape: Octagonal→HRC:64-65→Knife Style: Yanagi Sashimi Knife →Saya Cover: Lacquered Magnolia Saya Cover→Stain Resistant: ...
mpn: 31446, ean: 0092187314469,
Dexter-Russell, the experts in edges since 1818, offers all of the necessary tools to outfit enthusiasts in the hunting and fishing world. Choose the right tool, blade shape, edge configuration, and handle type to help process your catch. Each cuttin...